Life is no straight and easy corridor along which we travel free and unhampered, but a maze of passages through which we must seek our way, lost and confused, now and again, checked in a blind alley. But always, if we have faith, a door will open for us, not perhaps one that we ourselves would ever have thought of, but one that will ultimately prove good for us. - A.J. Cronin
Read: Azzah's personal rambling during her moment of weakness (you've been warned!)
With the departure of great talents before me (I've been warned but no... the optimistic ME simply won't listen and wanted to experience 'it' MYSELF... stupidity/naivety/nobility... depends on how you see thing I guess but to me you won't know if you don't try, right? the opportune time has come to self-reflect on what I truly want in my career (versus just a JOB) while I rejuvenate my soul to a well-deserved break.
To go through the daily routine almost to the point of mindlessness without a broader picture in sight is something that I could not fathom. Its an uncomfortable feeling 'living in stagnation' ("where are we heading to?" keeps playing on my mind and it doesn't help that the company has gone through countless rounds of restructuring a.k.a. symptomatic folks!), wondering if 'the extra hours I put in is worth my while'("hey, if time away from family and loved one is not personal, then I don't know what is!" - Erin Brockovich), if whatever I utter will be used against me (out of context)... yada yada yada :(
As you reach a certain phase in your life, you look up to a visionary leader who could excite and motivate you (not that you are not self-driven) to achieve greatness, someone who believes in equal opportunity (no personal biasness, pls) and mutual respect for domain expertise (encourages you to be the movers and shakers) and takes inputs from the ground up (sanity check is being REAL)...
Someone who believes in human capital management (not juts filling the gaps with who ever is available... talk about optimal utlisation) and staff retention (this no staff is indispensable mindset has to go.... as staff leave, so will IPR), takes the time to plan proper KPIs and appraisal systems (going by gut feel/halo effect/unrealistic statistics is unfavourable); a credible leader who is knowledgeable but at times, is not afraid to say, "I don't know either, let's find the solution together" (well, no human being is PERFECT, right?) ... I miss that...
Its pointless 'fighting fire everyday with no permanent solution in sight'. When organizational symptoms that are pointing to the root cause goes on blind ears (and the fact of the matter is most of the long-serviced staff have been griping about it yet nothing is done; major OSD issue!) *sigh*... don't you think you are fighting a losing battle ALONE? Well, you know when its time to pack up and move on and look for like-minded peers ... R.I.P!
A note to the rest:
It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power. - Alan Cohen
No comments:
Post a Comment